Global Electricity Review 2020

This report has two aims. First, to be the earliest authoritative report to give unbiased insights into last year’s global electricity generation changes. It incorporates 2019 electricity generation data covering 85% of world’s electricity generation, and informed estimates of the remaining 15%. For the key four regions, we have taken 2019 as follows:

→ China – China Electricity Council (CEC)
→ United States – Energy Information
→ India – Central Electricity Authority
→ European Union – via Ember’s ‘European

Second, to make the entire dataset free and easy to download for others to perform their own analysis. The dataset used for this report is provided on an ‘as is’ basis, and was assembled using the best available data at the time of writing. In order to remain as transparent as possible, we have prioritised clarity over complexity where appropriate. A full explanation of the methodology used to assemble the dataset is provided in the ‘Data Method’ section. Unless their organization is mentioned, peer reviewers are commenting in an independent capacity. We take no responsibility for errors.

Global Electricity Review 2020